Sports medicine includes many medical disciplines working as a team to help athletes and sports enthusiasts of all ages and abilities prevent injury, improve performance and to diagnose and treat sports related injuries for rapid recovery. The orthopedic role in sports medicine focuses on the musculoskeletal system and is often the most significant part of the sports medicine team.
Other essential disciplines related to sports medicine include:
OPA medical staff are able to coordinate the efforts of all sports related disciplines to help athletes prevent and recover from injury, compete safely and achieve their optimal athletic performance.
OPA is the only orthopedic practice in the Anchorage Mat-Su area that provides the services of full time certified athletic trainers.
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Athletic training
- Exercise physiology
- Environmental conditioning (altitude and temperature)
- Sports Nutrition
In addition, OPA orthopedic sports medicine specialists diagnose and treat sports injuries immediately after they occur through our injury walk-in clinic, open 7 days a week.
OPA Certified Athletic Trainers
Sports Consultations, Performance Enhancement, Injury Prevention
Lynne Young, M.Ed, ATC
Paul Stoufflet, M. Ed., ATC
- Evaluating and re-evaluating readiness to play
- Strapping/taping players and providing training for self strapping/taping
- Therapeutic exercise planning
- Gait training
- Orthotic/brace fitting
- Neuromuscular re-education
- Pre-game instruction and training at coaches and players meetings
- Attending to injuries during games and practices
- Assisting physicians, surgeons and EMTs at games and practices
- Post game rehabilitation
- Consultation with parents, coaches, players and owners regarding injury prevention and rehabilitation for individual players.
OPA Sports Certified Orthopedic Physician Assistants
Sports Physicals, Injury diagnosis & treatment
John Love, PA-C
Colin Hickenlooper, PA-C
Cal Heald, PA-C
James L. Glenn, PA-C
Rick Farrell, PA-C
Sharon Sturley, PA-C
OPA Sports Physicians, Surgeons
Find OPA orthopedic sports physicians for sports injury diagnosis & treatment by area of injury or concern:
Back & Neck
Arm & Elbow
Hand & Wrist
Hip & Leg
Foot & Ankle